I have a confession, I really love old timey Americana and country music. I love the scratchy sounds of heart-felt tunes recorded in the 1920-40s. I love the wit, wisdom and humour of those old tunes, and the likes of Gillian Welch, Laura Cantrell and Paul Burch who write and record with an old-yet-modern heart.
Whiskey figures as a double measure in many of these songs, and, as my Christmas gift to you all, I’ve created a playlist that celebrates the Dubious Whiskey Wisdom? of this genre.
- Whiskey is the life of man – Bellowhead
- Whisky in the jar – Thin Lizzy
- Honky Tonkin – Hank Williams
- Cigarettes, Whiskey and wild women – The Sons of the Pioneers
- The Sideboard Song – Chas ‘N’ Dave
- Bubbles in my beer – Tracey Dear
- Whiskey bottle – Sean Reefer and the Resin Valley Boys
- Knockin’ over Whiskeys – Hayes Carll
- Drank up all the whiskeys – The Biscuit Burners
- If I was Whisky and you was a duck – Jelly Roll Morton
- Whiskey in my Whiskey – The Felice Brothers
- The Whiskey makes you sweeter – Laura Cantrell
- Tennessee Whiskey – Bradley Gaskin
- Tear my stillhouse down – Gillian Welch
- Closing time – Tom Waits
- Lord, blow the moon out please – Hem
- Alabama song (Whiskey song) – Kurt Weill & Bertolt Brecht.
To accompany your listening, why not make a Nigel Slater’s hot toddy and relax.
DJ Stories & Spanners xx
PS. Where possible, the tracks link to Amazon.